Mikve medieval en Erfurt
Monuments - Religious monuments
In 2007, archaeologists discovered the medieval Erfurt Mikveh, dating back to the 13th century. It was used by the first and second Jewish communities until the city council forced the Jews of Erfurt to emigrate in 1453. The font was filled in and the room above was used as a cellar until the 20th century. In addition to the synagogue and cemetery, a mikveh was (and is) an important part of Jewish ritual cleansing after contact with the dead, blood, or other religiously impure things. Today, a modern building serves to protect the archaeological find. The ritual bath can be visited as part of guided tours. • Located just behind the Krämerbrücke. • There are parking spaces in the public parking area. The nearest disabled parking spaces are located on Michaelisstraße near the Old Synagogue or on Predigerstraße (distance to entrance approx. 250 m).