Museu da Água - Aqueduto das Águas Livres
Culture - Museums / Exhibition rooms
The Water Museum, supervised by EPAL, SA – Empresa Portuguesa das Águas Livres, is made up of four spaces scattered throughout the city of Lisbon, all of them composed of buildings related to the supply of water to the city of Lisbon, dating from the 18th and 19th centuries : the Águas Livres Aqueduct, the Mãe d'Água Reservoir of Amoreiras, the Patriarcal Reservoir and the Barbadinhos Steam Pumping Station. The Águas Livres Aqueduct, built between 1731 and 1799, is considered a remarkable work of hydraulic engineering, a vast system for capturing and transporting water, and has been classified as a National Monument since 1910. The construction of this monument, which withstood the earthquake of 1755, was only possible thanks to a tax called the "Real de Água", levied on essential goods such as olive oil, wine and meat. In total, the Águas Livres Aqueduct system, inside and outside Lisbon, reached around 58 km in length in the mid-19th century, with its waters no longer being used for human consumption from the 1960s onwards. XX. The extraordinary arches of the Alcântara valley, over a length of 941m, are made up of 35 arches, including, among them, the largest pointed stone arch in the world, 65.29 m high and 28.86 m wide.
The accessibility of this tourism resource has been analyzed by experts