Museu da Água - Reservatório Mãe d'Água
Culture - Museums / Exhibition rooms
The Water Museum, supervised by EPAL, SA – Empresa Portuguesa das Águas Livres, is made up of four spaces scattered throughout the city of Lisbon, all of them made up of buildings related to the supply of water to the city of Lisbon, dating from the 18th and 19th centuries : the Águas Livres Aqueduct, the Mãe d'Água Reservoir of Amoreiras, the Patriarcal Reservoir and the Barbadinhos Steam Pumping Station. The entrance to Lisbon of the Águas Livres Aqueduct, marked by the arch in Rua das Amoreiras, designed by the Hungarian architect Carlos Mardel, between 1746 and 1748, closed at the Mãe d’Água das Amoreiras Reservoir. Currently, the Mãe d’Água Reservoir presents itself as a large, bright and unified space, its interior suggesting the floor plan of a Hall-style church, proposing the sacredness of the space. The water from the springs gushes from the mouth of a dolphin over a waterfall, built with stone transported from the springs of the Águas Livres Aqueduct, and converges into the seven and a half meter deep tank, which has a capacity of 5,500 m3. From the tank emerge four columns that support a vaulted ceiling that, in turn, supports the magnificent panoramic terrace over the city of Lisbon. On the western front of this reservoir is the Casa do Registo, where the flow of water that went to fountains, factories, convents and noble houses was controlled.